Philip Eliot Padwe was born in Dallas TX in 1972 to an off-the-boat Irish nun, adopted at birth, and raised in New York by a Jewish family. This sense of innate duality... Catholic and Jewish, Texan and New Yorker, Irish and American; extends naturally to his art. His art seek a balance between high finish and an unfinished feel; between black and white and brilliant color; between the abstract and the actual, all while exploring emotion and identity.
Padwe completed a year long independent study of Old Master drawings at The British Museum in London and is a member in good standing of The Art Students League in Manhattan where his instructors have included Frederick Brosen and Costa Vavagiakis. His figurative watercolors and drawings focus on reflections of identity and achieving balance between apparent opposites.
MFA Candidate (class of 2021) at NYAA
Art Students League of New York
Frederick Brosen (The Art Students League)
Costa Vavagiakis (The Art Students League)
Marc Dennis (The Art Students League)
Wendy Artin (The ASL)
Timothy Clark (The ASL)
Linda Cyr (The ASL)
2010, Group exhibition, “Swipe!” 25 CPW Gallery, New York, NY
2013, Group exhibition, “Swipe Magazine Artists” National Arts Club, New York, NY
2017, Group exhibition, "The Spring Art Exhibition" Wix Lounge (Chelsea) New York, NY
2017, Group exhibition, "Single Fare 4" Highline Stages (Chelsea) New York, NY
2018, Group exhibition, "Anatomical Drawing" Phyllis Harriman Mason Gallery, New York, NY
2018, Group exhibition, "Watercolors" Phyllis Harriman Mason Gallery, New York, NY
2019, Group exhibition, "Fluidity" Phyllis Harriman Mason Gallery, New York, NY
• WYNC radio, “Guards and Artists” The Leonard Lopate Show March 25, 2010.
• NPR Morning Edition, Margot Adler, ”Museum Guards Swipe The Spotlight” March 22, 2010
• New York Times, "Hoping to Graduate From Guards to Gauguins" March 5, 2010
SPIN 1038 Radio, Dublin, Ireland.
Capitol Radio, London UK.
KMOX Radio, St. Louis, MO.
KBPI Radio; The Locker Room. Denver, CO.
WBAL Radio; Morning Radio. Baltimore, MD.
NPR: The Bryant Park Project. Alison Stewart. September 13, 2007.
WDVE Radio; Pittsburgh, PA.
92Q Radio, Syracuse, NY.
• "Illustrating Ink"; Skin & Ink Magazine; August, 2012
• “Mammy (sic) Has A Tattoo”; Tattoo Society; January, 2009
• “What’s That, Mommy?”; Parenting Magazine; October 2008
• “Tattoo Coloring Book & Mommy Has A Tattoo”; Skin & Ink; January 2008
• “Mommy Has A Tattoo”; Skin Deep Magazine; May, 2007
• Feature; “Making Their Mark”; Trucker News; May, 2007
• “Mommy Has A Tattoo”; Tattoos For Women; January, 2007
• Perry; “Mommy Has A Tattoo”; Total Tattoo Magazine; November, 2006
• Sharer, Lisa; “Mommy Has A Tattoo”; Prick Magazine; September, 2006